Heroes of Hayle: World War One stories from home and the Western Front will look at various aspects of life in the town during 1914-18. Local historians will be leading talks and a walk - and acclaimed local author Jenny Alexander will be leading poetry workshops in September and October - to create work to be read at Remembrance Day services in November. All events are free.
Thursday 14 June - Phillack Church Hall - 7pm
- a talk on the National Explosives Factory on Hayle Towans by local historian Peter Channon.
Wednesday 27 June - Upton Towns - 7pm
- a visit to the site of the National Explosives Factory on Hayle Towans led by Peter Channon
Wednesday 4 July - Phillack Church - 7pm
- a talk by local historian Chris Berry on the war graves at the church - including those of two young women who died at an explosion at the National Explosives Factory
Thursday 19 July - Passmore Edwards Hall - 7pm for 730pm
- a talk by WW1 expert Robert Johns on the 251st Tunnelling Company formed in Hayle
A free glass of wine (or non-alcoholic drink) will be offered and a chance to meet others attending
Saturday 8 September - Phillack Church - 1030am-4pm
- poetry workshop by acclaimed local author Jenny Alexander inspired by local war graves. Phillack Church is on the edge of the dunes and there will be an hour-long lunchbreak when you can take a walk along them.
Saturday 22 September - Phillack Church Hall - 1030am-4pm- poetry workshop by Jenny Alexander inspired by the National Explosives Factory
Saturday 6 October - Phillack Church Hall - 1030am-4om
- poetry workshops by Jenny Alexander inspired by the 251st Tunnelling Company
Please do get in touch if you would like to know more. Anyone is very welcome to take part in all – or just one part – of this project. You don’t have to be an experienced poet at all. Beginners are very welcome. You will be surprised at what you will write under Jenny Alexander’s expert guidance.
There’s no need to book for the talks but, for the workshops, numbers are limited so booking is essential. Contact email@example.com to book your place on whichever workshop days you would like to attend.