Visiting the war memorial in Newlyn with Bridging Arts volunteer Mike Matthews. It was dedicated around 1920. The stonework was created by local stonemason Mr Snell of Newlyn: the Bronze sculpture is the work of L. S. Merrifield. It's right outside the Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen at the entrance to North Pier. The bronze now has a green patina - reminiscent of the panels that decorate the Newlyn Gallery a few hundred yards away. These were created for the Gallery opening in 1894.
|Bronze panel on War Memorial in Newlyn|