Thursday 12 April 2018

Flowerpickers and a receipt

The daffodil picking in the fields near my house is finished now - but I did find a piece of paper by my gate in the mud. As I wrote a couple of weeks ago,  we know very little more about the lives of migrant workers than ten years ago when we launched our project I Packed This Myself - with the aim of bringing migrant workers and local communities together.

The paper was a receipt from Lidl, Penzance, and had been dropped by a worker leaving a car near my gate. Whoever this was had certainly not been wasting money on fine living. Vegetable fat spread,  A bottle of cider, then a diet of noodle soup, white bread and orange juice.

Not a healthy diet at the best of times - and particularly not when working long days in the freezing cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Support Us

Bridging Arts depends on grants and charitable donations. To support us, click here.